Moving Day: Practical Checklist for Moving Overseas
If you have been working with a resettlement agent ahead of purchasing your home in Portugal, they should have provided information which will help in your move, including contact details for local expat groups who may be able to provide support and recommendations of companies who can best support you. It is worth gathering as much information and advice as possible prior to moving, as moving overseas is a significant event that requires careful planning.
Three to six months before you head for your new home, the following actions should be initiated:
• Get quotes for international removals and for your flights before booking a shipment;
• Ask your medical centre and dentist for hand-over files
• Ensure you have a complete visa, and have the paperwork to confirm your medical examination and the results of police checks where required;
• Request up-to-date assessments on any savings and pensions. A pension transfer specialist can assess your UK pension(s) and what the tax implications may be if you move abroad;
• If required, ensure that your children are enrolled in a local school well in advance of arrival;
• Ensure any pets are fully inoculated and fit to travel;
• Consider making a power of attorney if you wish for a family member or trusted friend to handle your financial affairs in the UK.
As the move draws closer, there are more details to complete, at least a month before moving:
• Notify your electoral office about redirecting voting forms;
• Ask for a copy of your no-claims bonus from your insurer;
• Arrange private health care provision in advance – and bear in mind that health provision varies from country to country;
• Organise an international SIM card to save money on calls when you first arrive abroad;
• Set up a redirection service for your mail.
This checklist will help with the key aspects of your move, but we understand that every situation is different. We have extensive experience managing large transfers for customers buying homes overseas and our expert foreign exchange team are on hand to advise you on the best ways to manage your exposures with a range of products which help you to make the most of your money .
moneycorp is a trading name of TTT Moneycorp Ltd which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for the provision of payment services. All customer funds are safeguarded in segregated client bank accounts.
For competitive exchange rates, low transfer fees, expert guidance and the special offer of your FIRST TRANSFER FREE call moneycorp on freephone 800 785 012 or visit www.moneycorp.com/portugal-resident